New technologies, which are web-based, offer teachers with many helpful tools that can be used to upgrade the teaching to the learning process and Moodle Sandbox is one of them. It is a platform that allows staff to login into Moodle and test its functionality and features at no risk whatsoever of damaging the live system. However, it is important to note that sandbox should not be used as a platform for storing your content.
What is Moodle Sandbox?
A sandbox is a blank Moodle course, which allows you to experiment without limitations with the various features of the Moodle. A Moodle is a combination of a web page and a lesson planner. Teachers can post activities, links, and lessons in a single place to be accessed by all users from any device. Moodle is also an ideal way of minimizing teacher planning time since it provides an organized way of preserving typed schemes and hiding future lessons until when they may be required. This web-based tool is a powerful, resourceful program that can produce an effective online classroom environment.
Some of the Moodle features are access to syllabi, assignment drop boxes, and virtual meeting rooms as well as access to a directory. The directory feature allows an entire directory of files to be accessed by students and they files can be downloaded. There is also a possibility of getting directory with numerous sub folders. Although the files are available in the read-only format unless they save them to a new location.
Who is the Moodle for?
Moodle is for any person who wishes to teach a supplementary face-to-face course in a more traditional setting or a fully online course. The features and tools available in Moodle can be used to establish an effective class irrespective of whether you teach in higher education, at a primary school, in a corporate setting or a secondary school.
Why Moodle Sandbox?
• Actually, Moodle is an outstanding tool to give to any educator. It is very flexible and offers the ability to post lessons and contents, including syllabus, handouts, assignments, and vocabulary lists. Research shows that nearly all web 2.0 tools are combined with Moodle.
• There is no any other excellent way of making the course more engaging and interactive for all students than using Moodle. The most unsociable students seem to be active and alive online. It also offers you a new strategy of organizing your class.
• The courses are planned and organized by teachers and the format can be modified at any chosen time. Courses are arranged in three ways, which include topic format, weekly format and monthly format.
• Moodle is ideal for enhancing learning due to its ability to give responsiveness and feedback at an appropriate time. As compared to face to face traditional learning setting, analyzing the requirements of the students and giving prompt feedback introduces a vital criticism of online learning.
• Moodle permits students as well as teachers to produce both qualitative and quantitative feedback in terms of customizable scales and grade respectively. This applies for almost all modules and activities.
Important Things Not to Forget When Using the Sandbox
• The sandbox is a shared platform since more than one user is permitted to log in and multiple users work at the same time. The contents added are visible to the public or anyone who chooses to sign in to the sandbox. However, the sandbox is refreshed during the next logging session.
• If you are new to Moodle, it is important you view the Moodle guides and videos before using the sandbox. Most of the helpful recourses can be found at the e-learning support sites.
• Since sandbox is refreshed regularly, it is not to be viewed as a permanent store. Therefore, any content and activities generated in the sandbox are removed without notice. This helps to maintain a reasonably consistent and clean space for users. With the abundant tools available in Moodle, it would be fun to sit back and watch what the future has in store for the students.
It is imperative you make sure that your content is organized in such a manner that students can easily retrieve and access it. This will help you avoid wasting a good deal of your time.
Moodle is web based and it will run perfectly on both PCs and Macs. It is not a good idea accessing Moodle using Chrome and Safari browsers because it will only result in contradictions and lack of features. If you usually use Chrome or Safari, you can use a different browser like Firefox.
Moodle is a web-based tool, which can only be accessed through a web browser. This simply means that you need a computer that is internet enabled with an installed web browser preferable Firefox to be able to use Moodle. Another thing you also need is the web address of a server that is capable to run Moodle. If your learning institution supports Sandbox Moodle, it will come with a Moodle up server, which is running. The system administrator can help you locate the server address. In case if you fail to have access to a server that has installed Moodle, you can set up your own by downloading from http://Moodle.org/ a Moodle package.
How Moodle Enhances Learning and Teaching
The learning innovations of Moodle leave educators with something to look forward to. This approach gives learning a different perspective of a creative social exercise. Actually, this is the reason why it has an expeditious uptake in the educational community. Any philosopher will tell you that effective learning takes its course, when scholars are actively engaged in an informative knowledge instead of passively memorizing, viewing, or reading exercise.
In addition, students are capable of learning better with the use of supplement materials. In addition, interacting with the community and other peers is also important for learning and it yields better results. In order to meet the needs of the learners, the learning environment has to be flexible and easily adaptable. The collaborative environment stimulates participants to play the role of both scholar and educator at the same time. When everyone has the capacity to contribute or participate, innovations, and creativity are ignited and this is possible through Moodle Sandbox.