Moodle media has gained its popularity as this LMS has become more widely used. This is simply because of the advantages it has especially in the current technology which most of the people have come to cope with.
Moodle Media – Best Practices
This particular document is actually targeted to provide a good understanding especially on how digital media may be be useful in Moodle purposely to support learning and teaching. Moodle is normally considered as a free-to- use open-source kind of VLE (Virtual Learning Environment).It was created to help the educators create an effective online learning communities.
To add on that also, Moodle helps in forum for learning, integration and learning both outside and inside the classroom for a good curriculum delivery. Another important thing to note is that learning objects can also be used in enhancing and facilitating learning by actually building upon some concepts, tasks and ideas by use of different approaches that suits the situation. The uses of Moodle media in perfectly designed teaching activities have got the ability to make learning experience to be deeper and engaging. This is what is called “e-learning”.
Until recently, most of the VLE content was known to be predominately text-based, but it is currently changing due to some factors. It includes the following:
- The increase in use of the blended learning type of approach.
- Increase of the affordable hardware that captures the still image, audio and moving image.
- Digital media is currently widely recognized to have benefits to learning.
- Experimentation by use of a more digital media is common.
- Increase in access availability, or in other case, mobile devices.
- The user-generated content is ever growing rapidly and it is available for re-use.
- Nowadays, it is easier to embed the content.
- The learner engagement may be increased also by appealing to totally different kind of learning styles that are within the cohort of the student.
- Web-based services/software are constantly emerging and this provides powerful tools/features that are usually free and more so support the common use and also the re-use of a digital media.
Generally, this drastic increase has really helped in shifting the course design towards more advanced kind of learner-centered approach. Most of the course designers normally facilitate different types of techniques, media and technology in order to enable learning process in some new and recommended ways. Also, the learners will be in a position to use various media that support their own learning at a specified time that best suits them especially with some tailored learning materials.
With the case of Moodle media consumers, the learners are now becoming the digital media creators. In that case, this has also led to some of the teaching staff to experiment with potential benefits of making use of the current digital media extensively with Moodle in order to support informal/formal learning and also teaching.
For instance, the use of an audio by most of teaching staff in supplementing face-to-face sessions has become popular. This is normally referred to as podcast. There are some opportunities that are meant for assessment and they are starting to show some taking off signs like oral feedback.
How to make use of digital media in Moodle media
Most people have been using still images for many years. Their popularity can also be explained by the following:
- Availability-If one does not have the existing images, then many outlets produce cheap/free to use images
- Ease of creation-This is either self-produced or conversion to digital
- Ease of use-Easy to embed, alter and position
Still images are usually considered to be a great way of representing key concepts that are explained in a text-based material. Below are some of recommended ways that one can choose in order to use images online. It includes the following:
- Well-sized image that can support a text-based content( Visual explanation)
- Add an appropriate link to a bit higher quality version if possible ( The file can be stored on any location on the page or may be even externally)
- Create a small image thumbnails to link a larger version
- Add a more descriptive description/title for it to be immediately contextualized for the learners
- Add an alternative information (ALT tag) for the image to support the accessibility
- Create the image with an image map (clickable parts) in order to have access of different types of information ( this requires HTML knowledge)
Audio is mainly used currently to supplement face-to-face sessions largely simply because it is a software which is easy to use, the hardware is affordable and also online support materials are available. Some of the common uses of an audio include the following:
- Provides edited highlights that are meant for teaching sessions
- It captures the teaching sessions in its entirety
- It makes the quest speaker’s to be available
The video may be used in many ways for different set of reasons. This is to create, memorable, motivating and also inclusive learning experiences. In other case, watching a video may also be considered to be passive experience. Therefore, teaching methods should be used instead of turning it into springboard purposely for interaction and learner action. The use of embedded video that is within the available page reduces the barriers of accessing the required content.
NOTE: It is good for one to be organized with all the necessary media in order to really know where and what they are,meaning that, not only how one can name them, but being logical in the set methods of storing some digital media resources in a local computer and also whenever uploading into Moodle.
Moodle has recommended tools and also the ability to support variety of tools and the media. A well planned learning material together with a digital media and of course in conjunction with this Moodle helps in supporting the teaching process and learners. So, for one to really know the importance of this technology, the best option is to learn more about Moodle and its benefits and at the end of it all, he or she will have learn a lot concerning Moodle media.