It is pretty easy to create certificates for your students using Moodle certificate module. When you learn how to use it, it will always take a very short time to create customized certificates.
Moodle certificate module is a third party tool available in Moodle. It can help you create certificates or diplomas for student and is highly customizable. It allows you to add watermarks, seals, borders and even to show the grade information. This tool also makes it possible for you to establish completion conditions such as the attainment of a given grade before a student can be able to print his/her certificate.
There are many benefits of using the Moodle certificate module. They include:
1. It allows the provisions of certification including credentials attained and credit units.
2. It makes it easy to award students who have done the best work.
3. It allows the addition of professional development courses.
4. It demands that before one progresses forward, all the required courses must be completed.
How the teacher creates a certificate activity
The process of creating a certificate activity is similar to the process used in other activities in Moodle. It is as follows:
1. Use the Turn editing on button to add an activity.
2. In the Add Activity menu, select activity and then certificate.
3. Describe the certificate you want to create using these options:
- Certificate name: this will be seen in the course of the page. Its purpose is to signal the user about the type or purpose of the certificate being issued.
- Introduction: the text that you write in the introduction will be displayed to a student every time he/she opens the certificate activity. The introduction can be a descriptive statement indicating when one needs to achieve to attain the award.
- Determination of how the certificate will be issued using the following options;
Emails teachers: there two choices under this option, Yes and No. If Yes is selected, all the users who play an instructor role in the course will receive an email automatically every time a student receives a certificate.
Email others: If there exists other roles (e.g. supervisors or advisor), this option makes it possible for them to be notified every time a student receives a certificate. You should enter their email address in this field. If there are multiple addresses to be entered, make sure that you separate them with a comma.
4. Delivery: this option allows you to choose how the students will view or receive their certificates. Three options are available:
- Opens in new window: this will open the certificate for the student in new browser window.
- Force download: This option will make the student automatically download the certificate when he/she clicks on the link.
- Email (must choose save): this option will send the certificate to the student’s email as a PDF attachment.
5. Save certificate: if this option is set to Yes, the certificate issued will be stored automatically in Teacher’s View Issued Certificates’ report.
6. Reissue certificate. If its set to Yes, then this certificate can be reissued with a new grade, date and code number every time the user tries to get the certificate.
Make sure that the certificate is well customized so that it can have the desired look and you will have created a Moodle certificate module.